Noticing Patterns of Oppression and Faithfulness
Polly Attwood and LJ Boswell both of Friends Meeting at Cambridge and members of New England Yearly Meeting’s Noticing Patterns Working Group are offering to this workshop to learn how to identify patterns of oppression, share these noticings in ways that build understanding and community, and build skills for being more faithful in undoing patterns of oppression in how we talk and interact with each other.
This workshop grew out of NEYM’s 2018 charge to Ministry & Counsel with creating a process to name people to help us see when and how we are enacting patterns of oppression. In August 2019 New England Yearly Meeting (NEYM) Sessions began an experiment with noticing patterns of oppression and faithfulness. All Friends are welcome, whether you are new to social justice work or have been doing it for a long time. Please consider encouraging others from your meeting to attend. Accessibility: Friends Meeting at Cambridge has level access to the Meeting House and a graded and/or ramp access to the Friends Center, gender-free, single-user accessible bathrooms, and hearing assistance devices. Please let us know of other ways we can make this workshop accessible by contacting LJ. For more information contact LJ Boswell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The schedule for the day:
- 9:30 am Forum in Parlor on “Spiritual Accommodation: Understanding and Loving our Physical, Sensory, Neurological, and Other Differences” with Liz Moore.
- 10:30am Meeting for Worship in Meetinghouse
- 11:45am Fellowship in the Friends Room &/or Afterthoughts in the Parlor
- 12:15pm Simple Lunch in the Friends Center
- 1:15pm Adjourned Meeting for Business in Worship, if needed, in Meetinghouse
- Three-hour program on “Noticing Patterns of Oppression and Faithfulness” in Meetinghouse and Friends Center following Meeting for Business