First Day School News
Where have you found joy this week?
Saturday, June 6, 10:00am – 12:00pm
FMC Conversation on Racism in the US Today
Due to the overwhelming atmosphere created by the murder of African-Americans and the related protests, the Clerks Team has decided to repurpose our gathering this Saturday morning, June 6. Instead of considering the reopening of our facilities, we will use the 10am – Noon time period for the FMC community to have a conversation about our experience of the current situation and ways to help each other gain more stamina for this work of witnessing to justice and following Black leadership at this time. We hope you will be able to participate in this important gathering.
This conversation will be held on the Meeting’s Open Zoom account or call 1-646-558-8656 and provide the Meeting ID 783 475 1861.
Sunday, June 7
Family Worship *New Time* 12:00-12:30pm
Join us as we try a new, half-hour experiment for kids and adults of all ages. We’ll start Intergenerational (Family) Worship at noon. Please bring a delicious snack to eat (or your whole lunch) as we explore the theme “The Gifts of Community”. To participate in the Zoom event, go here or call 1-646-558-8656 and provide the Meeting ID 487 156 341 and password 543199.
Friday, June 12, 6:00-8:00pm
Virtual Variety Show Based on the Theme of Community
Sing, Play a song, show photos, introduce us to your pets or favorite stuffed animals, tell a story. Let’s join together for a time of fun! Family-Friendly Event
For Zoom link click here or call 646 558 8656 and enter in the Meeting ID 843 0035 9529 and password 648637
Sign Up here to perform/share.
Talking about Racism and Current Events with Children
Here are a several links to help with talking with children about the current events:
- Embrace Race
- Raising Race Conscious Children
- Talking to Children after Racial Incidents: An Interview with Dr. Howard Stevenson
- Talking to Kids About the Riots, Racism, and Law Enforcement In Light of George Floyd’s Killing in Minneapolis
- Wee The People
Parents’ Group to Discuss Racism and Current Events
I have been hearing from a couple parents about the desire to have time for conversation. Are other parents interested in this?
Please let me know!
Resources to Share Among the FMC Community
Out of the Parents’ Meeting there was a desire to share resources that have been helpful for parents in the community. Here is a Google Document to share resources:
Beth Fuller and I will lead a crafting afternoon on Wednesdays at 4pm.
Laughter Yoga with Amy Tighe Mondays 9:15-9:45am, Wednesdays at 10:15-10:45am, and Fridays at 9:15-9:45am. No meeting on Wednesday, June 10.
All of these events will be held on the Meeting’s Open Zoom account.
To see the whole Open Zoom schedule, visit here.
Let me know if you have any ideas for other activities.
- Here is a resource created by our own Christa Redner (nee Frintner) with links to different local, national efforts surrounding COVID-19, resources to deal with stress, mental health and how to stay connected, and more! Here is the link.
- I found this great Google Doc with list of free online games to play with others
- An opportunity for young people of all ages to share their experiences of this time of quarantine, in a NEW magazine created by and for young people.
- A great Facebook group for Quaker Religious Education resources for this time
- Lastly here is a fun video about virtual Meeting for Worship aimed for kids
I have been reaching out to a lot of our families and I will continue to do so, but if I can be of any assistance, please let me know! I am happy to just listen!
Thinking of you all!
Greg Woods, Youth Ministries & Education Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-251-6512